weathering stuffs

My process currently is to keep testors dullcote in the airbrush, and generally I seal every coat with it.

My first coat is to emulate years of rain dying the paint with rust washing over, hence, out comes the Vallejo red rusty wash that is PERFECT.

I seal it with more dullcote.

One of the fun parts is always the roof, I rip pieces of a foam sponge and pick up tiny amounts of acrylic paint, the color and application technique emulate different things.

I start with a bold white then grey right on top, this emulates chipped paint, and then I add some combinations of burnt sienna, burnt umber, raw sienna, raw umber, and this catches the white and grey so it pops more if the car is dark in color.

The way I apply is with very light dabs with the sponge, on its torn edge to randomize the way the paint applies.

I spray with dullcote.

Lastly, I hit her with a bit of a dark wash to emulate dirt, with black acrylic paint diluted 50/50 to a light consistency, and just douse the car in it to dig into the corners.

Last tip, I keep a hair dryer at hand, and each coat gets dried with the dryer quickly and the car can get weathered in one session.

Comments